W_Disable (Airplane mode) has no effect on Quectel EC25-A

Hello,

I recently purchased the raspberry pi 4g kit with EC25-A(north america) modem. So far everything looks good. Im looking for an easy way to temporarily disable the modem because it takes priority over wifi and I want to switch to wifi when available to save data $$$. Im not a linux wiz or networking wiz so rather than try to change the priority of network interfaces I opted to just disable the device with a simple command line or a bash when needed.

I am interested in either sleep more or airplane mode opposed to power down since it seems like a less complex operation. Based on my experience with my cell I opted to try airplane mode. On the raspberry pi I execute the command to toggle GPIO.19 from low/high and I verify with my oscilloscope. However I see no effect on cellular/data reception. I also tried to toggle the GPIO.19 visa versa but still no effect. I checked the AT+CFUN state which is always 1. Based on the documents I shouldn’t need to alter the AT+CFUN state to disable the radio, only need to toggle W_disable. Am I miss understanding what Airplane mode means? I shouldn’t be able to access internet if Airplane mode is enabled, right? What am I missing?

Hello,

Did you use **AT+QCFG=“airplanecontrol”,**1 to enable the W_disable function?
This could be helpful.

1 Like

Very good. This was the solution. I realize now I probably read an older version of the hardware design which does not specify these details.The great thing is that this register is committed to memory so this simplifies my work. Thank you

1 Like

@saeed, et al,

Try this alternative if you need to disable all radio transmissions during and after boot up:

1 Like

@shawnj007 Thank you for your contribution