Software shutdown button

I soldered the pogo pin on and the button works via long press BUT once it does a software shutdown it doesn’t respond to any button presses at all. I have to remove all power (battery included) in order to reset it. What exactly does this button do?

Hi @tyler.price,
The following table describes the functions of the button:

Behavior Status
S1(Long Press) Hard shutdown by cutting power of Raspberry Pi
S1(Short Press) Hard boot-up by powering Raspberry Pi
S2(Long Press) Soft shutdown via I2C then power off
S2(Short Press) Power on if power conditions are alright. (The pogo pin needs to be soldered)*

*UPS HAT pogo pin details

I understand the fucntions. What I am saying is the built in buttons function properly as described. The S1 external button I soldered works as described as well BUT S2 external button doesn’t; the solder pads on other side of board for S2 are wrong. When I short them out (external button press) the board goes wild; the status led and the heartbeat led turn off but the PWR led stays lit red, the board doesn’t respond to any button presses on S1 or S2. I have to remove ALL power to the board and than power it back on for it to work again but if I use the built in S2 button it works as described.

So I think the S2 solder pads are connected wrong? I desoldered my external button and cleaned the pads off and it still doest work.

Could you share an image of how you solder your pads?

That’s how it is right now after I desoldered, when I short the two pads it has the same bad reaction as when I had the button wired up

Absolutely hate sixfabs ups board. I’ve now bought 2 of them and both end up wrecked. I highly recommend not buying anything from these guys.

1 Like

It is currently investigated by our technical team, we will keep you updated.

As the image shows, BTN2 pad and 3.3V path are very close to each other. Therefore, while soldering the 3.3V path is soldered with BTN2 unwittingly. Thus, pressing the button causes a short circuit. So when the button is pressed, will cause a short circuit.
Please do the following:

• Firstly clean the pads.
  • Carefully and slowly cut the path shown in the picture with a utility knife.

We think this is the reason why it is causing trouble when soldering. When cutting with a utility knife, please be very careful and slow, so as not to cause other problems.

Thanks.