Remote terminal not accessible

I have a raspberry pi 5 + 4G/LTE Cellular modem kit at a remote location and it cannot be physically accessed. I was accessing it remotely using the remote terminal on the sixfab core dashboard until yesterday. Now, I see the screen with “Reaching to device” and sometimes it will progress to the screen with the message that asks you to click on the black area of the screen to activate terminal. However, the terminal screen is completely irresponsive.

The device is online and everything seems to be fine on the dashboard. I have also had several power cycles to see if that would help, but it did not. Additionally, I had set up a local hotspot using the raspberry pi WiFi that runs on boot up. I have confirmed that the hotspot SSID works and provides internet access to the client device. This means that the cell network is working and the raspberry pi is also working.

Is there any specific reason for the remote terminal to stop working? I have also sent a support request with the token for remote support, but I wanted to see if I could get any pointers from the community. Thanks!

Hi,

We believe we’ve resolved the issue you were experiencing.
Could you please try connecting remote terminal again and let us know if everything is working as expected now?

Thank you for your patience!

1 Like

It does work now, thank you for your help! Would you be able to tell me what was wrong? I want to avoid this in the future since continuous access to the device is important for my project. Is there any way I could have fixed the issue on my end?

Also, since this appears to have been a problem specific to the device, I am thinking of adding a backup modem (probably the one using a Raspberry Pi Pico) nearby and setting up a local network so that accessing one means accessing the other. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have for this and other ways to avoid it.

Thanks again for your help!

The issue was on our end, so under stable conditions, you shouldn’t experience any problems with your device. For your backup device, I can recommend third-party remote access software services (such as remote.it) for connection to your primary device.

Thanks @ensar! I looked into remote.it and it looks promising for my use case. One last question about this option: Are the remote.it and sixfab core systems compatible if used on the same device?

Yes, they are compatible and independent of each other.