Raspberry Pi + LTE Base HAT : ttyUSB3 not found

Team, I have just received my LTE HAT with EC25 module and trying to establish a basic internet connection, with no luck so far.

i have following the instruction on https://github.com/sixfab/Sixfab_PPP_Installer to install the PPP.

What I have noticed later is that my raspberry Pi 3B+ is not recognizing ttyUSB3 port.

not sure what is the issue. can you please help?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl status reconnect.service
● reconnect.service - PPP Auto Connection
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/reconnect.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-05-07 22:03:34 PDT; 9min ago
Main PID: 400 (sh)
Tasks: 2 (limit: 2200)
Memory: 4.3M
CGroup: /system.slice/reconnect.service
├─ 400 /bin/sh /usr/src/reconnect.sh
└─3498 sleep 10

May 07 22:12:37 raspberrypi sudo[3442]: pi : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/src ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/pon
May 07 22:12:37 raspberrypi sudo[3442]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
May 07 22:12:37 raspberrypi sh[400]: /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized option '/dev/ttyUSB3’
May 07 22:12:37 raspberrypi sudo[3442]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
May 07 22:12:47 raspberrypi sh[400]: ping: SO_BINDTODEVICE: No such device
May 07 22:12:47 raspberrypi sh[400]: Connection down, reconnecting…
May 07 22:12:47 raspberrypi sudo[3489]: pi : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/usr/src ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/pon
May 07 22:12:47 raspberrypi sudo[3489]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
May 07 22:12:47 raspberrypi sh[400]: /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized option ‘/dev/ttyUSB3’
May 07 22:12:47 raspberrypi sudo[3489]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

Hello,

Make sure the Hardware setup is done correctly. Getting Started

Then check if the ttyUSB0-3 are available under the /dev directory.

If no, please share how the LED are behaving. Make sure GPIO26 & GPIO19 are low.

Thanks @saeed for the quick response. I have in fact followed the setup instructions and I see through the Operator portal that the module had location updated, but no PDP session established. the HAT red light is steady and the blue light flashing every 2-3 seconds.

looking at the /dev , I do not see any ttyUSB*

raspberry pi is powered through the original raspberry pi power supply and using the USB connection to the HAT.

what I tried to do though post submitting this thread is to change the port to ttyAMA0, which made “pon” utility to start rather than immediately exiting with error on ttyUSB3 not found, but got “connect script failed” after few seconds.

I’m not a hardware savvy, so I was wondering is the HAT powered as well as get the data thru the GPIO pins or through the external USB cable?

lastly, I did not understand your comment about GPIO pins 19 and 26. what do you mean by “are low”?

— SOLVED —

the provided usb cable doesn’t work. I replaced it with another short usb cable from Anker.

1 Like