Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Application Shield work on Ubuntu 18.04

I bought a new raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Application Shield with BG96 and I am setting up it. I would like to connect it with my pc(Ubuntu) standalone and I do not have a Raspberry Pi.

It can work well with AT command but I am stuck at ppp connection. It seems that it cannot connect to IoT if I do not set up the ppp connection. But I cannot go ahead because all scripts are supported for the Raspberry Pi. Do you have a tutorial for how to set up the raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Application Shield and make it work standalone?

Hello Kevin,

For windows standalone usage, you will need the Windows driver.
You can use the Qnavigator tool to establish connections and to communicate with the module.

Hello, thanks for your reply. But my os is Ubuntu. Do you have any ideas?

Hello Kevin,

The Ubuntu OS can recognize the modules,
Once you have USB connected press the POWER button for about 2 seconds which will turn on the module. Now you can check the available device(ttyUSB0~3) under the /dev.

To communicate with the module, you may use serial port tools such as minicom, cutecom.

Thanks very much! Do you mean I do not need to set up anything special? I can send AT command to communicate with my module but I think it has no internet connection with the SIM card inserted.

Hello,

Yes, you will not need any special step for driver installation.
Once you connect the USB and turn on the module, you will be able to access the ports for sending AT commands.

There are several protocols that are supported by the module. Which protocol are you planning to use?
First, you need to configure your module to get registered on the network, Required Manual
Then you can find the AT commands Manual to test your module.
Later, depending on your requirement you may use the suitable manual; such as
HTTP(s), TCP(IP), FTP(s), PPP, MQTT

1 Like

Thanks very much! It seems to work, I can use AT+QPING to ping my server or “8.8.8.8”. But I cannot ping using the domain names such as " www.google.com", it will return 565 error which is the DNS error, do you have any idea?

Hello @keviniling ,

What is the firmware(FW) version of your module?
The latest FW is available on the product page’s Firmware section.

This will need a windows PC/laptop with the USB driver installed and QFlash tool.