Power HAT not connected on web portal

I created a new device at power.sixfab.com and completed the curl command using copy/paste onto my RPi4 with the PowerHAT installed. Everything worked with no errors, and the RPi has internet connectivity via ethernet, yet it never shows up as connected under devices at power.sixfab.com.

What can I do to troubleshoot?

-Jim

Further: Iā€™m trying to update the firmware manually since I canā€™t get an online connection. When I plug in power with S1 and S2 held down, the L1 light never goes magenta. Have I just got a bad board?

-Jim

Hi @james.mcpherson,
Could you share the logs of the pms_agent service?
You could use: journalctl -u pms_agent.service

Sure, where are they? I looked through all your documentation and canā€™t find them mentioned.

As an update, I strangely got the manual firmware to work.

I did it by NOT pressing S1 and S2 on power up. I got the read_sensors.py example to work by pip3 installing the power api software, then running read_sensorsā€¦ oddly I have to reinstall the power-api software via pip everytime I rebootā€¦

However, after successfully getting read_sensors to work, I then tried update_firmware.py and it too worked. It went all the way through the percentages and reported that version 0.3.0 was successful.

Either something weird is going on with my board, or your documentation is waaay off.

-Jim

Thanks for the edit with logging instructions. Here is the result of the journalctl command

Jul 21 21:18:21 stellarmate systemd[961]: pms_agent.service: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Jul 21 21:18:21 stellarmate systemd[961]: pms_agent.service: Failed at step USER spawning /usr/bin/python3: No such process
Jul 21 21:18:21 stellarmate systemd[1]: pms_agent.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Jul 21 21:18:21 stellarmate systemd[1]: pms_agent.service: Failed with result ā€˜exit-codeā€™.
Jul 21 21:18:24 stellarmate systemd[1]: pms_agent.service: Service RestartSec=3s expired, scheduling restart.
Jul 21 21:18:24 stellarmate systemd[1]: pms_agent.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 9.
Jul 21 21:18:24 stellarmate systemd[1]: Stopped Sixfab PMS Agent.
Jul 21 21:18:24 stellarmate systemd[1]: Started Sixfab PMS Agent.
lines 1-74

As an update, I uninstalled, then created a new device in the web portal then reinstalled using copy/paste with exactly the same results.

I am able to control the UPS HAT with the python API so I know the mcu is working correctly.

-Jim

I canā€™t post again because Iā€™m too newā€¦ however I fixed it.

I use a different user name than ā€œpiā€. The service assumes the ā€œpiā€ user. I changed the service in /etc/systemd/system/pms_agent.service to my user name and added my group name and viola, it all worked.

-Jim

1 Like