No wwan0 interface - EC25-E with Base HAT

Hello all!

I’ve been trying to get my RPi4 up and running with the Base HAT and EC25-E (norwegian Telenor operator), but can’t get the system to recognize the unit as wwan0 interface. Have tried fresh RPi OS (5.4.79-v71+), but the device is only recognized as usb0 when using the USB cable provided with the device.

pi@jorgensen:~ $ lsusb -t

/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 1, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 2, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 3, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 4, Class=Communications, Driver=cdc_ether, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 5, Class=CDC Data, Driver=cdc_ether, 480M

Now the device works fine with AT-commands and internet connection with usb0 interface, but I can’t get QMI to work at all, as it won’t run on usb0, only wwan0.
I’ve gone through the tutorials on QMI setup, but nothing helps. I tried a fresh build of RPi OS without using the USB-cable, but then the device doesn’t show at all.

Is there anything I’m missing, or that I should try instead?
I’m sorry if I’m missing some information in this post, please tell me if there is any extra information I should provide. I haven’t really used Linux OS in ~20 years, so I’m a little rusty.

Hi @daniel.jorgensen,

Thank you for the information you provided.
Please send the following AT commands to the module:

AT+QCFG="usbnet",0
AT+CFUN=1,1 // Reset the module. Wait for the modem to boot again. It may take 30 seconds.

Please check again with lsusb -t. You will see qmi_wwan driver. Now, it’s time to set up QMI.

Thank you so much! That fixed all of my problems after 3 days of intensive googling, reading and fresh installs of RPi OS.