ME910C1-WW not detecting SIM card

I just received a Raspberry Pi 4G LTE HAT with a Telit ME910C1-WW modem. When following the steps to set up Ethernet Control Module and setting the APN, it returned a +CME ERROR: 10 (no SIM detected), as you can see in the screenshot below:

Everything on the hardware side looks okay, no bent pins on the SIM module and the SIM card looks to be seated correctly. I tried doing a firmware update on Windows and while that was successful, the reported firmware version is still the same.

When plugging the HAT over USB into both a Windows computer and the Ubuntu VM on my laptop, both network managers on both operating systems are reporting that I need to insert a SIM even though the SIM is very much inserted as you can see in the photo below.

BD1F8B53-29CE-42F6-BB2F-8198B1C3D8AD_4_5005_c

What gives? Is my modem possibly faulty? This was happening before the firmware update as well, giving off the same +CME ERROR: 10 when attempting to set the APN.

I should also mention that I am using the Sixfab SIM card, but when attempting to insert an old Verizon SIM card I had lying around, it was still reporting that a SIM was not being detected.

Hi,

Can you share the AT+CPIN?, AT#QSS? and AT#SIMDET? commands output and also a close-up photo of the SIM card slot?

I would love to give you the output of those commands…but this morning the modem isn’t even showing up in lsusb even though the HAT is connected over USB. /dev/ttyUSB isn’t showing up either. It’s also not showing up when plugged into my Mac either - VMWare Fusion isn’t offering to connect the modem to Linux (it was doing it last night).

Here’s a closeup photo of the SIM pins.

Just an update - I haven’t been able to test if the modem is still not showing up over USB in the past few days, but I’ll give it a shot tonight to see if it’s still having issues.

Nonetheless, if it turns out this modem isn’t working, what are the chances that I could send this modem back and exchange it for a different modem like the Telit LE910 or the Quectel EG25 (and pay any price difference)?

The modem still isn’t being detected unfortunately. Here’s a screenshot from lsusb.

Not too sure where to go from here :confused:

Can you share the following command outputs:

dmesg | grep tty
usb-devices
cat /etc/os-release

Ok! So it looks like I needed to reseat the modem in the PCIe card and it’s showing up over USB again. These are the output of the commands from earlier:

I will follow up if the modem is able to get online.

Looks like the modem is online and able to transmit a signal! It seems like cleaning the pins off of the modem with a microfiber cloth was able to get things workings again.

1 Like