I2C addresses not detected when using the Power Management & UPS HAT

I cannot get my Power Management & UPS Hat to work. When connected to the Raspberry Pi 4 with the battery and power via USB-C, the Raspberry Pi will not boot. L1 is green, L2 is Red. The only way the Raspberry Pi will power on is if I plug USB-C into the USB-C power port on the Raspberry Pi itself.

I did some troubleshooting and did notice that the power hat is not showing up in i2cdetect. For testing to ensure i2c was enabled, I connected a 2 line LCD that is controlled by i2c. It was detected and had an address in i2cdetect.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I also have the 3G/4G&LTE BASE HAT and it is not detected as having any i2c addresses as well.

Thank you.

Hi @ty.purcell,

The UPS HAT uses 0x41 I2C address. The sensor on the battery uses 0x48 i2c address. Make sure it is not conflicting with another device using the same address.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- 41 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The Base HAT doesn’t work via i2c. It works via USB/UART.

Also, could you share a picture of your hardware setup?

Thank you for the reply. Right now for testing I only have the Power Management/UPS hat installed:

IMG_1958

Also, here is the output from my i2cdetect showing nothing being detected.

Please install UPS HAT as below picture and follow the steps from the video to prepare your hardware.

Well - obvious mistake I should have caught! I watched the video, probably just not all the way. Thank you for the help!