Help with Cellular IoT shield

After following the tutorial, I encounter this issue.
I am using Raspberry pi 4.

pi@raspberrypi:~/Sixfab_RPi_CellularIoT_Library/sample $ sudo python3 sendSMS.py
Sixfab Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Application Shield Class initialized!
BG96 module disabled!
BG96 module enabled!
BG96 module powered up!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 323, in _reconfigure_port
    orig_attr = termios.tcgetattr(self.fd)
termios.error: (5, 'Input/output error')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sendSMS.py", line 18, in <module>
    node.sendATComm("ATE1","OK\r\n")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/sixfab_cellulariot-1.2.0-py3.7.egg/cellulariot/cellulariot.py", line 200, in sendATComm
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/sixfab_cellulariot-1.2.0-py3.7.egg/cellulariot/cellulariot.py", line 172, in sendATCommOnce
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 272, in open
    self._reconfigure_port(force_update=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 326, in _reconfigure_port
    raise SerialException("Could not configure port: {}".format(msg))
serial.serialutil.SerialException: Could not configure port: (5, 'Input/output error')

Would you please help?

Do you have enabled the Serial and disabled the serial Login of the Raspberry Pi?
Is there any other device connected to the serial?

I have the same problem. Raspberry 4, Cellular IoT HAT. logging on serial disabled (confirmed console removed from cmdline.txt) and uart enabled (uart_enable=1 in config.txt), but I get the same error: serial.serialutil.SerialException: Could not configure port: (5, 'Input/output error')

Nothing else is connected to the Pi’s GPIO pins; sudo lsof /dev/ttyS0 shows no other acess to the serial port.

Any ideas?

Update I appear to have fixed it.

I have dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt in my config.txt – this is the standard way to disable Bluetooth on the Pi 3 and Pi 4.

If I comment out this line then reboot, I can communicate with the IoT Hat via /dev/ttyS0.