GPS Accuracy Question

Hi

We are interested in the Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT HAT – LTE-M & NB-IoT & eGPRS and need details on unit beyond what is on the web page. Specifically;

What is the accuracy in meters, of the GPS?
What is the position update rate of the GPS?

Thank you

Hello @cnevarez,

Parameter Description Conditions Typ. Unit
Accuracy(GNSS) CEP-50 Autonomous @open sky < 2.5 m

The module supports standard NMEA-0183 protocol and outputs NMEA sentences at a 1Hz data update rate via USB interface by default.

Best regards.

Thank you. How many channels does the GPS support? what constellations is it using? Is it possible to configure the GPS chip set to increase the update rate to 3 or 6 Hz?

Hello @cnevarez,
How many channels does the GPS support?

• This is a complicated question. The channel is a condition that usually affects the receiver. The channel of the receiver is more important.

What constellations is it using?

• GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou/Compass, Galileo, QZSS

Is it possible to configure the GPS chip set to increase the update rate to 3 or 6 Hz?

• Max. 1 Hz data update rate.

Best regards.

Hi - I’ve just got the Cellular IoT HAT set up, and im testing the GPS data using the instructions at https://docs.sixfab.com/page/read-gnss-gps-data-with-sixfab-hat. When running python3 GPS.py I’m getting values returned back which are at least 8 miles / ~13km out from the actual location.

Can I please check, @ensar are you saying in your response above i should be expecting values < 2.5 meters? If so, can you help me understand what may be wrong with my setup? Where would i start debugging this?

Hi @andy_brace,
About your issue, please confirm the following information:

• Good sky view or anything in the way? Do you keep the Pi clock close to the correct time?
  • Could you take some pictures to show your test environment?
  • What kind of antenna do you use? Is it active or passive?
  • Please confirm you have connect the GPS antenna, and place it in outside environment.
  • It is better to check the satellite signal quality via NEMA sentence.
  • The following GNSS manual for your reference. Please check the values returned using AT command by following the reference. Thank you.